Nutrition Facts!

Happy January! As we head into a New Year, I thought it might be helpful to review some of the basics. Here are my favorite nutrition facts to keep in mind as you commit to another year of healthy living:

Fact #1: All carbohydrates are not created equally – Fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes and whole grains are all healthy carbohydrates that belong in our diet. Want to try a low carb diet? Opt for a low refined carb diet (think white flour and sugary drinks) – these are the main culprits when it comes to weight gain to disease development.

Fact #2: Fat does not make you fat – Eating the right kind of fat is just as important as the amount. Focus on heart-healthy fats like olive oil and canola oil and limit saturated fats. Avoid anything hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated – this means dangerous trans fat.

Fact #3: There is more to cholesterol than cholesterol – While there is cholesterol in the foods we eat, it turns out that foods high in saturated and trans fat have a much greater impact on our cholesterol levels as do lifestyle factors like inactivity and weight gain.

Fact #4: More protein is not always better – Eating too much of anything will lead to weight gain. Even protein.

Fact #5: There is room for our favorites - Cutting out foods completely can leave us feeling deprived. Learning to enjoy them in moderation and as part of a balanced diet is the key to success. If 80% of your diet is healthy and balanced, that leaves 20% of the time to enjoy some other foods you love!

 Fact #6: Alcohol has calories! Remember a margarita can have more calories than a Big Mac, large fries, or a personal pepperoni pizza. Just because it’s liquid, doesn’t mean it is calorie-free.

Fact #7: Whole foods are the best sources of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants –They also offer the most nutritional bang for our calorie buck.

Happy, Healthy New Year!

Leave a Reply

View Earlier Entries